Welcome

Welcome

Hello

We make Podcasts We will support, mentor and edit your Podcast make it ready for Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Sticher and TuneIn.

We can create artwork add production music and imaging to make your podcast really shine and that all starts from just £30 per completed hour


Sunday 5 December 2010

Is there a doctor in the house?

'Mad mean' Gillian McKeith, or why I regretted having her as a regular guest on a show I once produced. This was at a time when she had a regular TV show, speaking of regular she spent a lot of time looking at peoples poo to determine whether they were healthy or not. I thought she would be the ideal person to make up my healthy 'family' that I created for a daily change your life show I was producing.

After a lot of wheeler-dealing with her agent I negotiated a reasonable fee for a monthly appearance, as a value-for-money deal she would also record a few lines of wisdom that would be played during every show. I also got them to agree we could also use her image and create editorial on our website.

Her first appearance was good, she has a great passion for healthy eating and I was pleased with my decision.  Unfortunately her next appearance coincided with the press hounding her about whether she was a Doctor or not, you can read the wikipedia  entry for their carefully worded article about that.

I suggested that during her next appearance which was due the following day, she should clear up the matter, I would allow her to use her choice of words and any questions would be agreed as I still, at that point wanted her on board.  Well I think mad rage would describe the response I got via her agents.  "How dare I question her qualifications, how dare I say this or that about her."  So we made a brave editorial decision to, frankly - dump Gillian.

Looking back it was the right thing to do, I just couldn't let her back on the air and ignore a whole week of press coverage about her qualifications and then have her talk about healthy eating.  It is an important part of your job as a producer to be sure that your 'expert' is qualified to talk on their subject.  That doesn't always have to mean academic qualifications experience also counts. 

As a footnote had Gillian been more open about her Doctorate I would have welcomed her back as she is an engine for better healthier eating - check out her website for more  click here

No comments: